"I'm a Jesus Girl who can step on the scale and simply see an indication of how much my body weighs - not the worth of who I am!" Lysa Terkheurst

On July 9th I had Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery and this is my journey! I want to be clear that I DO NOT think this surgery is a quick-fix for weightloss and every possible means should be taken before even considering this path. It is VERY difficult and if I knew then what I know now, I would have done more to lose the weight on my own! Having said that, I'm thankful for my new healthier life and am accepting and taking charge of MY weightloss journey! And... ALL the glory and honour goes to GOD!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Wiggin' It!

Well I experienced my first workout "injury" this week.  I developed "tennis elbow" - I'm assuming it's from the weightlifting.  In the body pump class we use a barbell for the whole class so I think the overuse triggered the pain.  I have a wonderful friend who "hooked me up" with a brace for my elbow which will help tremendously now.  I was also given some anti-inflammatory cream to put on my elbow, which worked wonders!  I'm not allowed to take an oral anti-inflammatory anymore due to surgery.  So this was a blessing to be able to get it in a cream form.  Looking forward to getting back to the gym tomorrow!

Something I thought I might eventually have to do happened this week.  I've mentioned that I've been losing my hair a lot lately.  This is common after any major surgery and moreso for us WLSers because of mal-absorbtion.  The doctors told me to make sure I'm getting all my daily protein and water in and this should help the matter.  Well, I'm getting my daily amounts and some days I get more than needed.  But still, my hair is falling out by the handfulls.  It is almost as much as a person going through chemo.  This is something that I really don't enjoy!  I wanted to be a hairdresser when I was younger and really enjoy styling hair.  My parents would go crazy waiting for me when I was younger because I took so much time doing my hair.  Well, that's not the case anymore.  I cut my hair a couple of weeks ago because I was sick of seeing long hair everywhere.  Now I just see short hair everywhere!  SOOOOO... I did it.  I bought a wig!  I wore it all yesterday while a friend and I (and our kids) went to Detroit to go shopping.  It is hard to get used to wearing it.  But I figure that I'll have to wear it full time soon, or just go around bald.  Some may say that I'm being vain in wanting a wig and I should just suck it up.  But let's face it women... our hair aids in our femininity.  I may use this opportunity to shave my head for a cause though, and hope that my hair will eventually grow back.  So if you see me with long hair all of a sudden, now ya know why!

On Thursday morning I attended my first ever Zumba class with my friend, Barb.  It ROCKED!  I was definitely not the smoothest, but I did it!  It is an excellent workout - I really enjoyed it.  It will be a part of my regular workout routine now.  Looking forward to Aqua Zumba tomorrow night again!

So besides these few things this week, nothing else is new.  Oh yeah, except for some more weight loss!!!  I lost 2 pounds this week, for a total of 96lbs.  Only 4 more for the big 100!!!!  This weightloss is happening a lot faster than I really expected it to.  I'm so thankful to God for bringing me into good health sooner rather than later.  Not only for the health, but I'm thankful for the new outlook on food.  I still don't really enjoy eating and only do it to survive now.  I don't hate it as much as I did a few weeks ago, but it's amazing how 5 months ago, I couldn't get enough take-out, nachos, ice-cream  etc.  Some days I almost need to put on a timer to remind myself to eat.  Going to the gym has been a wonderful distraction.  I really look forward to that hour or 2 of just pushing my body to the limits and making it the most healthy that it can be.  I want my body to be a healthy, Holy Temple in which Jesus Christ can dwell.  And with His strength and help, I am doing it!

I was late doing my monthly picture this month, but better late than never!


"... for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him Who strengthens me."  
Philippians 4:11-13

Total Loss: 96lbs

3 comments:

  1. When I look at that first picture now (from July), it's scary. Hard to believe that you were that big. Your new lease on life is inspiring. You've inspired me.....and I think it is supposed to be the other way around. You look so much like Tammy now with the wig. You girls must have some wonderful looking parents to be so pretty! lol! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look amazing and the wig is so natural and beautiful! When I see that first picture of you, I thank God that He prepared your heart and mind for action. I thank Him for bringing you through this with a new view and lease on life. I am so happy that you are enjoying the gym too. I have found that my gym is my "happy haven," and my friends there are my "motivation system." It feels good doesn't it?! Can't wait to sweat with you next summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dayna, glad you are enjoying this new life style of energy and fitness. It sounds like you are embracing the new you which is half the battle. So proud of you and your courage to carry on when there are so many critics out there. You are HIS and no one can take that away from you. God's will is to see you grow in grace. Blessings. Your Friend Karen Puddicombe

    ReplyDelete

DON'T FORGET TO ADD YOUR NAME TO YOUR MESSAGE IF YOU'RE AN ANONYMOUS GUEST!