"I'm a Jesus Girl who can step on the scale and simply see an indication of how much my body weighs - not the worth of who I am!" Lysa Terkheurst

On July 9th I had Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass surgery and this is my journey! I want to be clear that I DO NOT think this surgery is a quick-fix for weightloss and every possible means should be taken before even considering this path. It is VERY difficult and if I knew then what I know now, I would have done more to lose the weight on my own! Having said that, I'm thankful for my new healthier life and am accepting and taking charge of MY weightloss journey! And... ALL the glory and honour goes to GOD!

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Life's Good!

Well, it's been two weeks since I last posted.  Sorry I didn't get a new blog post last weekend - it was a busy weekend and all week has been kinda crazy.  But here I am now!

So, it has been almost 3 weeks since I joined the gym and it has been going really well.  I manage to get there at least 4 times a week.  I'm hoping to start going twice on some days this week, as me and my "phat" sistas (which I like to rename "Physically Healthy And Terrific!") are going to be going to an Aqua Zumba class.  That should be lots of fun!  At least it's under water and people won't be able to see how silly we look! haha

Last week I went through my closet and tried on some clothes that I have had for over 13 years.  One is a skirt jumper I actually bought in 1997.  I loved it but haven't been able to wear it since probably 2002.  And the other was a short-set jumper.  Both of these items I've been taking with me through all my hundreds of moves over the past few years, hoping that someday I would fit back into them.  Well, last Sunday I tried them on, and they FIT!  Not only did they fit, but there was lots of room!  (those of you who went to university with me will remember this one!)

I also went through the rest of my clothes this week and it turns out I don't have very much to wear.  I had ONE long sleeve top, that is too big, and one pair of jeans that I would wear in public.  I have a few more pairs of pants that are too big in the legs that my mother-in-law is so graciously working on for me.  A dear friend of mine who had surgery after me and is a couple (or more) sizes smaller than me gave me some sweaters this week, which I DESPERATELY needed.  I have been SO cold lately.  This is normal after surgery.  I don't know if it's just that we have less insulation, or if it's just our body adjusting.  Either way, it's better than sweating all the time, which I was like before surgery.  I'd rather be cold than hot - you can always add layers when you're cold.  You can only take off so much clothes when you're hot before it's inappropriate! haha

I tried eating something yesterday that I haven't eaten since before surgery.  I was out running errands and didn't pack a snack for myself.  So I did it... I had a McDonald's cheeseburger.  It was only the kid's size burger, and I only ate half of it, but let me tell you - it was DISGUSTING!  I felt so gross the rest of the day.  And I'm very thankful for that feeling.  I don't think I'll be trying one of those again any time soon!

Last Friday, Roman's class went on a Field Trip to Ojibway Park, a nature park here in Windsor.  Since it was his first field trip, I really wanted to go.  Also, I wanted to go because I CAN!  Let me explain - last year, I hardly went on any field trips with the kids because I was physically unable to get around.  I went on one field trip last year with Gabrielle's class and that's only because it was a movie and I knew I didn't have to do much moving.  This year, going to the park, and going on little hikes was so wonderful!  And during lunch I had an "ah ha!" moment with Roman.  He climbed up on my lap to cuddle (which he LOVES to do all the time) and when he put his arms around me, I realized I could put my arms around him enough to touch my sides again.  AND he had room on my lap to sit down.  I would have to say that when my children get up on my lap now to cuddle, and me having an actual lap for them to sit on, is probably my favorite part of this journey so far.  The way we can hug and cuddle is worth every struggle that I've gone through during this process!


Well, it's been a long day - we had the boys' "friend" birthday party today, so I'm pooped!  But it's time for my weightloss update.  So LAST week (November 4-10) I lost 4lbs.  And this week I lost 1lb.  It's funny how the body reacts differently each week, even though I do the same thing.  I HAVE been doing more weightlifting this week so maybe that accounts for the lower loss.  But it's all good!!!  I'm feeling great and healthy and I'm so happy to be able to do things with my family again that I had dreaded or just didn't do before.  This is what it's all about!!!

Total Loss: 94lbs

8 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Just wanted to let you know that I was admiring your fur boots when I zoomed it in and realized that it was your cat!!! Lol keep up the good and hard work!!!! Loves ya, nic

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will LOVE the aqua class! One of the best workouts! Keep up the great work, Dayna! We love you no matter what, but are so excited to see YOU so excited with this renewed zest for life! Amazing how a bit of extra confidence in our physical self can create such a hightened appreciation for so many of the regular day-to-day things we so easily take for granted! So proud of yoU! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work. It's a long-hard struggle, but you make it look so easy. So proud of you. You look great - and I do remember that jumper.

    (Aunt) Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that.jumper too. Looks great on you. You have peakedy interest on Aqua Zumba.Must see if we have that here in Ajax.
    Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blogs! You rock Dayna! You're AWESOME :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOT!!! I'm sort of anonymous. WOOT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, I remember that jumper dress all too well! I have been meaning to email you since our chat yesterday to tell you that it brought tears to my eyes to hear about your new accomplishments because of the weightloss. After our conversation, I felt very emotional because I am finally able to talk to you about health and the gym where before I would have avoided even bringing up the subject as not to offend you. I love that we have this in common now and I want you to know that I am very proud of you for all that you have done to create a healthier you. I will always be one of your biggest supporters. Lots of hugs and love, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dayna, you continue to amaze me every time I read this blog of yours. You are truly an inspiration to so many people out there who are also struggling with weight issues. As far as the hot/cold temperatures go I totally agree with you, I would rather be cold and put on a sweater, than be too hot and not be able to do too much, other than take a cold shower!! In regards to the aqua/zumba classes they sound like a whole lot of fun and I would love to know where you are taking those, as that sounds like something I would love to do also. Keep up the good work and the positive attitude you have. May God continue to bless you each and every day, Hugs, Darlene T.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T FORGET TO ADD YOUR NAME TO YOUR MESSAGE IF YOU'RE AN ANONYMOUS GUEST!